Friday, April 6, 2007

Project Proposal

Barcode shirts: I want to create a series of shirts that have mobility 2D barcodes on them. They will be readable by mobile phones. Someone can use their phone to scan the barcode on the shirt. The scan will translate the barcode to reveal the profile of the person wearing the shirt. You can see the persons age, name, interests, or whatever they chose as their profile. I plan to silkscreen this code on the shirts. I can use either of the following websites to create my own barcodes: Quickmark or Kaywa. For now I will make simple barcodes that reveal one word or a URL when you scan them. Full profiles are more complicated to create and I think it could be more interesting to have one word or statement. U.S phone companies do not program thier phones with the technology needed to scan these barcodes, so testing this project will be difficult. I hope to expand on this idea and put barcodes on ties, backpacks and jewelry. A similar project already exists and is described here: Shyno. Instead of using barcodes, these shirts have sms code. If you are interested in the person wearing the shirt you can go to the website and send a message to the person. I don't plan on this being a "matchmaking" project. I am more interested in using the barcodes to represent random words and ideas that might trigger conversations between people.

No comments: